Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Forums aka Gossip Gallery

Over the course of the past week I've had a roller coaster of likes and dislikes with joining a forum. My task at hand began when I had to attempt to find a forum worth joining. For me personally, this was probably the most difficult part because I have A LOT of likes but not so many LOVES as to the point where I'd return to a forum everyday to discuss things with people I don't even know really exist. So I attempted to join two, one at Shape.com and the other a Grey's Anatomy Forum on TelevisionWithoutPity.com.

My first try at registering with TVWP made me put down my computer and not touch it for about 24 hours because I was so frustrated. They asked me to click on either Born: Before March 5th 1988 or After March 5th 1988. But me a click-a-holic just clicked and mistakenly clicked the wrong one concluding me to be bombarded with restrictions telling me I needed my Parent to fill out some form and yatta yatta yatta.

UGH

So after my frustration passed I decided...okay I read Shape Magazine a lot why not try one there...
So I join everything goes smoothly...I get to the forum...but I CAN'T POST. Something about being restricted from doing that. UM HELLO?! WHY WOULD I JOIN A FORUM AND NOT WANT TO POST? (Later I find out I have to be approved first but..Hey I'm still learning give me a break.)

Finally I go to my neighbors house and use her computer to successfully join TVWP specifically the Grey's Anatomy Forum, where I decided to join Gab, Stat: The Meet Market under Grey's Gab Gallery.

The registration at this forum led to the same frustration at Shape, but using my brain a little more I waited a day or so to be "approved" then post my first comment, which read...

"Hey everyone! I'm new so I just wanted to say hello, I hope I can catch on to the convo."

I figured I'd jump in and just admit flat out I was new. This I decided was best because my friend, who strictly FORBID me from joining his Ultimate Fighting Forum (which I had no intention in anyway), forewarned me ever so kindly that...
"You better watch out you NOOB they are gonna attack you if you say things they don't like."

After making my first appearance I was slightly anxious to check back later and see if anyone even cared I was there. Also, I had noticed that although I had joined a Grey's forum...there was definitely no talk of Grey's in site. Subjects more a long the lines of husbands, boyfriends, vacation, traveling, and hair advice were running the wires. Not that I minded, the last Grey’s was a repeat so it was nice and yet somewhat intimidating to be joining what seemed more like the "cool girls lunch table" in High School than anything else.

Checked back and I had already two responses:

"Welcome CSouz! We're a fun bunch, I promise. Perhaps even a funky bunch. Any takers on being our resident Marky Mark?"

"Welcome to the thread CSouz! Jump right in!"

Okay so I had the approval and the intimidation was far-gone so I decided to do exactly was I was told and jump in. The discussion was taking place in other countries, countries I had no knowledge of. It was interesting to find a lot of the girls were either from Canada or Australia. They have a slightly different language and weren't making fun of Americans, but there was a little teasing taking place.

"I have to be honest I'm American and I have no idea what countries you are all talking about, but sure sounds nice. I'd love to be at the beach right now but its like 30 degrees here and if I went out in my "tog"? I'd freeze my bum off!"

Is what I said...I used the tog reference because another girl had noted that that's what they call bikini's ("As far as I know, it's just jandals slang for a bikini. I just call them togs.")

Immediately I was asked questions of where I was from, how old I was, and not to be offended that I was American.

So I used the quoting blocks and answered their questions.

“I go to school in Massachusetts, but I'm from Long Island, NY

I'm 20 and a Junior at the University of Massachusetts. I'm actually in a Convergence Journalism class and our assignment is to join a forum of our interest and interact. I must say you guys are very welcoming.

As for wolverinegirl53
Don't get involved with guys with girlfriends believe me, ironically I just got off the phone with my ex who has a girlfriend as well. I just don’t think it's worth it, if he likes you and misses you so much why is he still with someone else?”

The last part was in response to a girls comment above mine. She was discussing how an old boyfriend of hers confessed his love but still had a girlfriend. Having a similar situation I decided to comment, and my advice was taken well and backed up.

“I ditto CSouz's sentiment. wolverinegirl, it's really not worth it.”

Then I received other comments on the part about me having an assignment to join a forum…a lot of the girls were jealous…

“That sounds like a pretty cool assignment. I'm also 20! And a junior at a school in Ontario. Though I don't call it "junior". I just say "third year". I'm Mass Comm, so not at all the same thing as you, but we get alot of journalism co-majors in our program. I've actually used this forum as an example of how technology establishes relationships and how groups of people have an anonymous sense of unity and..blahblahblah-schoolcakes.”

“wish I could get an assignment like that. Get graded for something I spend time doing already. I wish I was a junior now lol. I'm a freshman. With 3-4 more years of undergrad school and 3 years of post undergrad learn-how-to-be-a-physical-thearpist school.”

Overall my experience in the forum was quite exciting. Although I most definitely judged in the beginning, thinking...what losers actually have the time to go onto a site and just blab…that’s what you have friends for. However, now I realize there is only so much you can learn from the people you are constantly in contact with. Look outside the box and there are so many new things to be done, new friendships to be made, new ideas to be shared.

I like this forum thing…it’s almost the equivalent to having a pen pal…but with more instant gratification.

2 comments:

King Devon the Magnificent said...

It's ok, you don't sound that bad. Oh, and interesting blog experience!

Scott Brodeur said...

Awesome. My assignment is getting rave reviews overseas!

Nice job with this, Courtney. The big question: Will you continue posting?