Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Big Strides for Females


I know its been decades since women were ever put down as unequal counterparts to men, but I found it interesting when I read an article on Drudge.com today titled Female Ump Gets A Day in the Big Leagues. Ria Cortesio will be the first woman since 1989 to work an MLB Exhibition game. [Who was the female in 1989?] In the article it discusses how Cortesio will be umpiring the exhibition game between the Chicago Cubs and the Arizona Diamondbacks and from interviews with the players, the fact that their ump is female could really matter less. In fact, they are excited that a female is actually being given the opportunity. Whether or not its something their publicist told them to say, I'm not sure lol...."It's awesome," Cubs star Derrek Lee said. "I think it's about time. Female eyes are as good as male eyes. Why can't they be umpires? Good for her."

To be honest I watch quite a number of baseball games and not to brag but I'm very observant and analytical...never once has the fact that all umps are men cross my mind...

Cortesio has now definitely brought that to my attention..why aren't their more female umps?

First campaigning for a Presidency...and now umpires in the Major leagues? Do we really even need men? ;)

here's the link http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/27/sportsline/main2613326.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_2613326

No comments: